Gluten Free Lemon Drizzle Loaf Cake
Gluten Free Lemon Drizzle Loaf Cak
A true classic! Perfect with a cup of tea and you will never know this is gluten free.
175g FREEE Plain White Flour
½ tsp FREEE Bicarbonate of Soda
150g caster sugar
butter, for tin
75ml lemon juice
75g icing sugar
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 1kg/2lb loaf tin or insert a baking liner.
- Measure the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Put the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, ensuring each is well incorporated before adding the next.
- Sieve the flour into the mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Finely grate the lemon rind and squeeze the juice. Save the juice for later.
- Add the rind and any lemon pulp to the mixing bowl and mix well.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a cocktail stick pressed into the sponge comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin.
- Pour the saved lemon juice into a jug and, if necessary, add more lemon juice to make it up to 75ml.
- Measure the sugar into a saucepan, add the lemon juice and cook over medium heat.
- Shake the pan occasionally and when the sugar is dissolved boil for a minute to make a syrup.
- Prick all over the surface of the cake with a cocktail stick, pressing right through the cake.
- Pour the syrup slowly all over top of the cake and leave to cool in the tin.
- Cut thin slices of zest from the lemon and squeeze the juice.
- Put the icing sugar into a bowl, add 3-4 teaspoons of lemon juice and stir to a thick consistency that will flow slightly
- Spread the icing over the top of the cake allowing it to dribble down the sides a little.
- Scatter the lemon zest over the icing.
- Leave to set before serving.